20120226

The inspiration...

A reuben sandwich consists of pastrami, swiss cheese, russian dressing, and sauerkraut, served on grilled rye bread. It is a sandwich of intense flavors that should be well balanced. Each of the ingredients have potentials to dominate lesser food stuffs, the joy of the rueben is that it is balance of greatness; game seven of the world series; overtime in the superbowl.

Fifteen years ago I had a Rueben that was the best I had ever had. The kraut was crispy and sharp, the swiss was aged and melted just right, the pastrami was hot and rich, and the rye bread had been grilled just right, It was crisp with a strong aroma. As I bit in the flavor of the layers exploded in my mouth.

The problem was that I couldn't remember where I had it. For nearly 10 years I searched restaurants in the area trying to remember where I would have had it. When I finally found the restaurant I was overjoyed. The reason it took so long was that it was at a breakfast restaurant.

Recently my wife showed me the blog Nachos NY dedicated to reviewing nachos. She suggested that I start one documenting reubens.

No comments:

Post a Comment