20120907

Olde New York - State College, PA

The Olde New York restaurant had been recommended to me as a great place to get a reuben.  Perusing the menu I saw several variants as well as a large selection of German and Italian foods.  This caused some confusion and flashback to episode of Kitchen Nightmares where Gordon Ramsey berates owners for overly large and complicated menus.  Although I was tempted by the promise of würsten I went ahead with plan A and ordered the rueben.

It was on pumpernickel.  It was lightly grilled and the bottom was tiniest bit soggy.  The bread was also a little chewy.  I guess I am a total bread snob.  I want it perfect.  The dressing was okay but there was a lot of it.  The sauerkraut was interesting.  Usually the sauerkraut that I see is white, sharp and acrid.  It is crisp and raw.  This sauerkraut had been cooked, almost stewed and was soft, dark and sweet.  The only time I have seen sauerkraut like this was at Herwig's, a local Austrian restaurant.

All in all it was a good sandwich and the french fries were awesome.

4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment