20120617

Marzoni's - Altoona PA

Marzoni's is a brewpub in Altoona, PA owned by the company that owns the Hoss's chain of restaurants.  I found out about it in book of Pennsylvania Breweries that I got for Father's Day (Thanks Ida!).  We got there about 11 a.m. figuring that we would beat the church crowd (Horray early service!)  It was empty when we got in but fairly well packed when we left.

I ordered a flight of beers, a reuben and some sweet potato fries.  After a bit of a wait and an apology the beer came.  Yummy, yummy beer.  After more of a wait and apology my wife's pizza came.  Brick fired oven, thin crust, lots of cheese, quality toppings, definitely a hit.

A flight of 8 samples.  The 6 standard on the wheel and the 2 special of to the side.
My sandwich wasn't there though; it turns out the printer was broken and the chef didn't see my sandwich.  At least, I had my beer.

The sandwich arrived.  The dressing was off to the side.  The bread was almost an inch thick.  Although it was a marble rye, I had high hopes.  Hoss's is a steakhouse with an epic salad bar, the highlight of which is the fresh baked breads.  I figured that since Marzoni's is owned by Hoss's, and in fact shares a parking lot with the corporate headquarters, the bread should be fresh and excellent.  It was very good bread but I could have dealt with a more intense taste.  I could also have handled it being grilled a bit longer.  Perhaps the grilling of the sandwich was rushed to get it out due to the bad printer.

The pastrami and sauerkraut were okay.  Nothing to spectacular.  The pastrami was tepid, as was the sauerkraut.  With the dressing on the sandwich it came across as being a cold sandwich rather than a hot one.  

Halfway though my sandwich the fries came, also a victim of the dodgy printer.  They were mighty tasty.


For dessert I had banana nut bread pudding. That is bread pudding made from banana nut bread.  It was pretty good as well.


I would definitely recommend the pizza, fries, and the bread pudding; and not showing up when they just opened.  I'll be headed back there again.  Just not for the reuben.

Final Ranking 2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment