20120605

Stage Deli - NYC

The Stage Deli, 7th Avenue and 54th Street on the northern end of Manhattan's Theatre District. This restaurant has been an icon since it opened in 1937. The sandwiches are expensive though, as expected with the caché that accompanies it. $22 is more than I normally want to pay for a sandwich at lunch.  Nevertheless, I plunged ahead and ordered the #25 Tiger Wood Reuben with Pastrami (Corned Beef, Turkey and Salami were also options.)

The sandwich was open faced and piled high.  Off to the right is a bottle of Russian dressing allowing me to sauce bits as I go.  With the sandwich piled as high as this was saucing as you go is a necessity.


The first thing I did when I got the sandwich was to lift it up and inspect the bread.  It was just bread, no toasting and no grilling or anything.  I took a taste of the bread and was very happy with the flavor.  First rate, a little dry but piled up with sauerkraut and meat and cheese and dressing it's not a real problem.



The sauerkraut was okay, maybe a little too fresh.  The cheese was good. The pastrami was good but not spectacular.  Perhaps I've become too jaded by the intense and flavorful meats available in farm country.

Rating 4 of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment