20120603

Plaza Diner - Fort Lee, NJ

I am in the New York City area to tryout for Jeopardy! tomorrow afternoon.  At Ida's suggestion we came in a day early so that we wouldn't be rushed tomorrow.  It was getting on to 5 o'clock and lunch had been small so we were both looking for dinner.  The hotel where we are staying, in spitting distance of the GWB, had a card with a list of local restaurants.  One of them was the Plaza Diner. 

It is a classic-looking diner with friendly staff.  On the menu was a reuben and when I ordered I was given a choice between pastrami and corned beef; score!  I went with the pastrami and when it came i was greeted with this.

It was an open-faced sandwich.  I didn't see any dressing on it and it came with a plate of mustard packets.  It was something different, I can respect that, but I am not sure about the plate of mustard though.  I took a peek under the sandwich to see what I was dealing with.  The bread had been lightly grilled and honestly didn't look like much.  I was afraid that I was going to be eating soggy bread.  I hate soggy bread. 

I picked up my knife and fork and then dug in.  The pastrami was not good.  I had a bite or two that was a bit funky and the rest almost tasted boiled.  The sauerkraut was pretty good and the cheese was melty at first.  It seems to be the peril of an open-faced sandwich is that it gets cold much faster.  The cheese and sauerkraut were good, the pastrami wasn't and the bread was rather disappointing, but at least it wasn't soggy.

This also marks the first time that I left one of my blog cards.



Rating 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment